College life is hard enough with studying and social influences; then you have to go and throw in money and finances. Suddenly college life seems out of reach. However, with the right tips and tricks, living on a college budget is very more attainable.
Get a Job on Campus
One of the biggest challenges for a student is to find the time to work. All students want to work, but it’s difficult to schedule around classwork. Looking for work on campus is the best way to find a job which will allow more freedom of movement. As soon as you have been accepted into a college, attend the campus and apply for any upcoming roles. If you wait until you arrive to start classes you will already be too late.
Never pay full price for any of your textbooks. Instead:
- Check out the Groupon Coupons page for AbeBooks for discounts on up to date college textbooks.
- If you can’t find what you are looking for, look for online groups where previous year students are selling their (still relevant) textbooks for cheap.
- Speak with your lecturers and administrators about any second-hand copies they have available
There are numerous ways to save money on your food costs during college life:
- Plan your meals for the month, and then months ahead again. This is the best way to make use of long life ingredients.
- Take advantage of bulk sales which save money over time
- Speak with your dorm friends and save even more money by buying larger amounts together
- Ask for a student discount anywhere and everywhere you eat
- Look for items which have a long shelf life and offer the basics
- Steer away from items which need refrigeration
Do you know who else needs the same stationery supplies as you? Your classmates. Speak with everybody you know and look at making bulk stationery purchases scheduled throughout the year. This is a great way for both you and your friends to save money on your everyday costs.
College life is going to be a challenge; there’s no doubt about that. But that’s life, and that’s how you learn. Take these tips on board and enjoy college life and all that it has to offer.